Challenging myself to keep to a certain makeup routine for the work week.
Ok, it’s not really a challenge for me. I have been doing this for the past few weeks and have come to a realization that it’s a great plan.
What do I Choose?: I choose all of my basic products I want to use on my face. Primer, foundation, setting powder (if wanted or needed), contour/bronzer (or both), concealer, eyeshadow palette, mascara, and brow product.
What is Missing?: I tend to not choose a few items in this bunch because I like to switch it up depending on what I am wearing for the day.
- Blush – I have been shying away from using blush on a daily. Sometimes I feel “too made-up” so I skip it entirely. Or maybe it depends on the eyeshadow look or clothes I am wearing for the day.
- Highlighter – Similar to blush, it just depends on what I’m wearing or how I’m feeling.
- Eyeshadow Primer – I only use one eyeshadow primer (Too Faced Shadow Insurance) so no use in switching things up.
- Lip – I love choosing new lip products and changing them regularly. I will generally stick to one kind of lip product in the same week. For example, I will stick to liquid lipsticks one week and change to stick lipsticks another.
When do I Switch Things?: I keep up the same routine for up to five days. Mondays are usually when I like to choose my products for the week. I get a fresh start every Monday morning! On the weekends I like to try new products or go makeup free to give my skin a break.
Why Do This?: I’m choosing to do this for a lot of reasons.
- I wanted to be able to use a product long enough to form a good opinion about it. For example, applying one foundation throughout the week helps me determine if it’s the foundation that doesn’t work with my oily skin or just because I used a different moisturizer that day.
- I can appreciate the products I own. If I challenge myself to use different products, that will help me see the amazing stuff I already got. I might catch myself drooling over the new contour palette out on the market, but then I realize I have multiple contour products in my stash that I love using.
- It will challenge me to be creative. If I continuously use the same eyeshadow palette, I can get more creative with my looks. If I find that I can’t get inspiration from the palette, then maybe it wasn’t a good buy for me.
- It helps to take the stress of getting ready in the morning. Some days I would find myself taking too much time putting on my face before work. I would get overwhelmed some days because I had too much to choose from. This system helps me stay on track and use my time wisely.
- It allows me to use up my products wisely. If I see that one of my products is coming to the end of its shelf life, I can put it in the rotation more often.
How Do I Keep Everything?: I found this pink wood tray from Target about a month ago and it works perfectly. I put all my products on the tray for the week. In the morning I move the tray on my desk and when I’m done, I move it on top of my makeup container. This way, everything is clean and out of the way for when I need my desk.
I challenge you all to do the same! Pick out all of your basic makeup products and use them for the entire work week. Then switch it up next week. Let me know how it goes! I will be talking about my weekly products soon!
- Aurora D.